Looking for a tasty Halloween treat? Have a look at one of the stunning recipes from Danielle Maupertuis' soon-to-be-released cookbook, Vegans Deserve Better Than A Fruit Salad.
Serves 12p - loose bottom springform tin 23cm diameter
Preparation time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins + 1 h
1. CHEESECAKE BASE
75g vegan spread or coconut oil
200g vegan digestive biscuits
1. Turn on the oven 190C / gas mark 5.
2. Line the base of a 23cm loose bottom springform tin by putting a round piece of parchment paper – same size - in the bottom of the tin base.
3. Melt the spread or oil in the microwave for 20 sec @ 850 C. Grind the biscuits in a food processor. Transfer in a bowl and mix in the melted spread or oil with a spatula.
4. Press the mix into the bottom of the mould, 4 mm thick.
5. Pre bake for 5 minutes at 190C.
6. Allow to cool down.
2. CHEESECAKE MIX
2 ½ Tbsp flax seeds mix
450g hard vegan cream cheese
425g pumpkin purée
210g golden caster sugar
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch nutmeg
120g milk alternative
1. Firstly, prepare the flaxseeds mix: Mix 10g of ground flaxseeds with 30g of cold water and let it rest for 10 mins at least, until you obtain a thick purée. Keep refrigerated.
2. In a mixing bowl, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese at medium-low speed until creamy, about 1 min. Reduce the speed and gradually add the pumpkin purée, the sugar, the spices and finally the milk alternative. Increase the speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl twice at least, until smooth consistency, with no remaining lumps.
3. Pour the mix over the cheesecake base, and bake at 175C/gas mark 4 for about 1h.
If you gently shake the tin, the filling should have a slight wobble.
4. Let it cool down for 2 hours at least before unmoulding. Slide the parchment paper out from underneath and transfer to a plate.
1. Using plastic gloves, colour 200g of a marzipan block in orange and 50g in dark green.
Divide the orange marzipan in 12 pieces, about 15g each.
Roll each piece into a round shape.
With a toothpick, press some lines from top till bottom to reproduce a pumpkin shape.
2. Between 2 parchment papers, roll out the green marzipan, 2mm thick. Using a star nozzle, cut 12 pieces and place each one on top of the pumpkin.
Finish with a little stem.
Sweet pastry bases
125g plain flour
½ tsp. baking powder
50g vegan spread
75g sifted icing sugar
25g milk alternative
pinch of salt
1. In a mixing bowl, using the paddle, at medium speed, beat the spread and the sugar until fluffy consistency. Reduce the speed and incorporate the milk. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Work on a low speed till all the ingredients are combined. Do not overwork the pastry.
Cling film the pastry and allow to rest for 2 h. at least in the fridge.
2. Roll out the pastry between 2 parchment papers, 2 mm thick. With a round cutter, cut 12 discs, 2.5cm diameter.
3. Place on a pre-lined baking tray and bake at 175C / gas mark 4 for 8 mins.
4. Put the marzipan pumpkins on top of the sweet pastry bases and dispose of equally onto the
Back to Blog