Wimbledon starts today and to celebrate we thought we’d do some research into some facts and surprising things about this wonderful season of Tennis!
1) The longest ever match was in 2010. The game was between Nicolas Mahut and John Isner. It lasted a whopping 11 hours and 5 minutes and was played over the course of 3 days.
2) The grass is tended all year round and during Wimbledon is cut to 8mm.
3) Sponsored advertising is not allowed.
4) Every year they go through around 140,000 servings of strawberries.
5) Tennis is known for the wonderful grunts. The loudest came from Maria Sharapova I’m 2009. It was 105 decimals. That’s roughly the same to standing next to an accelerating motor bike.